- No comments
Earth-friendly Must-haves for a Picnic at the Park
We love parks! In the summer, it seems like everybody’s outdoors, enjoying the sun, taking their dogs out for walks, and going on a run. It’s really the perfect time to be outside, whether it’s to take advantage of the natural light for the ‘gram, or just be with nature, even for just a bit. This is why July is National Parks and Recreation Month, to celebrate all that is awesome about parks and all the things that takes us out of the house that doesn’t have to involve spending money!
Why do we celebrate parks? Well, for many things, most of it is because it brings communities and people together. We get to meet people we wouldn’t usually bump into anywhere else at park — the cute, the fun, and the creepy alike… but that’s the beauty of the outdoors! Parks also play a big role in helping the environment. What with global warming, we need all the trees that we could get. And where would all the squirrels live?
But parks are not just those places with grass and playgrounds, check out other parks nearby or when you travel. Parks can be beaches, sports fields, trails, and many more.
Personally, I love parks so much that to make sure that I’m park-ready, I have a water-proof foldable picnic mat stashed in the trunk of my car so! But apart from a picnic mat or blanket, here’s a list of earth-friendly must-haves for a great day at the park:
- A picnic basket, or a big container that you can put all your food in
- Easy-to-eat food. Pack an assortment of food that are easy to eat and clean up and can be eaten cold such as sandwiches, chips, even cold fried chicken and pasta salads. Use reusable containers so you won’t have too much trash to worry about.
- Cold drinks in a cooler. While it’s easier to just toss canned and bottled drinks from the grocery into the cooler with the ice, how about take it up another notch by mixing your own drinks at home and putting them in reusable glass bottles? Sure, it’s an extra step, but it’s healthier for you and the environment.
- Bubble makers. After eating, you can just blow bubbles! It’s a fun and relaxing way to spend the afternoon, and it gives joy to other people around you too!
- Frisbee or a small ball to throw around. If you and your friends and family are the active type, and you have a large space to play catch, this is fun!
- Good company! A definite must-have for any successful picnic!
Have you been to a park lately?